Sunday, December 7, 2014


The Cortland Democrat, Friday, September 14, 1888.

The Balloon Ascension.
   A very large crowd of people were on the Fair grounds, on Wednesday afternoon, to witness the balloon ascension and to see Prof. Young in his parachute descent. The tops of buildings within a half mile of the grounds were covered with people, as were the hills east of the grounds.
   The 45th Separate company, Capt. B. E. Miller commanding, gave an exhibition drill at 8 o'clock, which was admired by all. The company went through with all the difficult maneuvres with as much precision and in as good style as if they were old veterans. As a drill officer, Capt. Miller has few equals.
   Prof. Young commenced the work of inflating his mammoth air ship at about 4 o'clock. The balloon is made of cotton cloth and weighs 400 lbs. When filled with hot air, it is at least 40 feet in diameter and 60 or 70 feet high. The process of filling so much space with hot air is necessarily a slow one, and it took until 6 o'clock to accomplish the work.
   At 6:08 Prof. Young called to his assistants to "let go," and the balloon at once ascended straight upward, lifting the parachute and the basket attached to the same in which Prof. Young stood, as it went. The balloon went straight up to an altitude of about 1000 feet, and then floated quite rapidly in a northeasterly direction. When it arrived over the east hill, the parachute was seen to part company with the balloon, and it came down rapidly for a few feet, when it opened to its fullest extent and its descent was quite moderate until it landed in an open field on the hill in full view of all the spectators. Mr. Young was not injured in the least, and with the aid of several persons who were in the immediate vicinity, he gathered up his parachute, and soon appeared at his hotel in the village.
   The balloon collapsed very soon after the parachute was disconnected, and fell to the ground, where it was found uninjured, and brought to town.
   It was a very successful exhibition, and gave excellent satisfaction to the immense crowd who witnessed it.

He Sees Forepaugh's Circus and Loses a Fifty-Dollar Bill.
   On Thursday Mathias Van Hoesen, of Preble, attended Forepaugh's circus at Cortland. He is eighty-three years old, but has all his facilities and needed no one to look after him. He bought his ticket and paid for it out of a ten-dollar bill he had in his purse, together with a fifty-dollar bill. Arriving on the inside of the tent he bought a reserved seat and enjoyed the performance. When he reached home that night he discovered that his fifty-dollar bill was gone, and he wrote a letter to Mr. Forepaugh apprising him of the loss. Ryan Green, a son-in-law of Mr. Van Hoesen, brought the letter to Syracuse yesterday morning, and taking Private Detective John P. Lee with him, delivered the letter at the circus ground.
   Mr. Forepaugh read the letter and said he would try and investigate the case, asking Mr. Green to come and see him again in the afternoon. The employees of the circus were questioned and the bill was found in the possession of James White, who has charge of one of the stands. Mr. White said that he found the money on the ground near where Mr. Van Hoesen bought his reserved seat ticket. The bill had the appearance of having been tramped in the mud. It was handed over to Mr. Green.—Syracuse Herald, Sept. 8.

Arrested on a Serious Charge.
   Last Thursday evening, Charles Eddy, a man about 36 years of age, was arrested by Deputy Sheriff Ripley, charged with having attempted to outrage a twelve year old girl, named Eliza Dutcher. Eddy met the Dutcher girl and a little playmate, named Maud Stabler, on Cayuga street [in Homer,] and under the pretense that he wanted them to sell fans at the circus, induced them to accompany him to a barn back of the circus grounds. When they had reached the barn, Eddy sent the Stabler girl to the other side of the building, and attempted to accomplish his fiendish design. The screams of the Dutcher girl frightened her companion, who ran to tell her father, and he, accompanied by an officer, went to the scene and took Eddy into custody. He was arraigned before Justice Bouton who, in default of bail, committed him to jail, pending his examination, which was set down for the 17th.
   Eddy is a married man, and has been for some time engaged in taking care of horses for F. N. Harrington and W. J. Hollenbeck. He was intoxicated at the time, but this should prove no excuse for the dastardly crime he attempted.

   Two sharp frosts in this vicinity last week damaged corn, potatoes, and other crops considerably.
   Williston Rice, of Brake hill, was quite seriously injured last Sunday by being trampled upon by an enraged bull.
   Miss Covil's pupils gave their quarterly music recital at her studio, last Saturday. All did well and were favored with encouragement and advice from Prof. Chas. W. Sanders of New York.
   Dr. C. D. Beardsley, of this place, performed a skillful operation upon a horse belonging to A. Rockwell Head, of Homer, a few days since. He successfully removed two thyroid tumors, one of which was a very large one.
   Albert Sessions, who resides on the hill three miles north of Homer village, and who disappeared two or three weeks since, about the same time as the wife of his hired man was missing, has not yet returned. The hired man’s name is Eugene [McEmber.]
   Morgan McAllister, aged thirteen years, who has been living in Canada for the past five years, started for South Cortland, where he formerly lived, on the 30th ult., on foot and pennyless. Conductors kindly passed him over the several roads, and he reached his place of destination safely the following Sunday.
   Forepaugh gave two excellent entertainments in this village, last Thursday. Everything advertised on the bills was to be seen inside the mammoth tents and every act was good. The animals were fine specimens, and the variety extensive. The only criticism we heard was that there was too much of the marvelous to see at one exhibition. The attendance was large in the afternoon, and there was a good audience in the evening.
Natural Gas.
   EDITOR DEMOCRAT:—While the Mullin brothers were drilling for water on my farm (to-day) they struck a vein of natural gas and James Mullin touched a match to it and there was quite an explosion in which he was considerably burned, and a sheet of flame shot up eight or ten feet high and is now burning with no likelihoods of its ever stopping, and I can see no way of stopping it if one should want to.
   Yours Truly,
   North Lansing, New York, Sept. 11, 1888.

Attention Dairymen.
   On Tuesday next Mr. Geo. A. Smith, an expert cheese maker employed by the State Dairymen's Association, will give a practical exhibition of the latest and most approved method of making cheese at the Sear's factory four miles west of Cortland, at 9 A. M. At the same hour on the following day he will be at the Lafayette factory in the town of Groton, for the same purpose. All dairymen and butter and cheese dealers are cordially invited to be present.

Death of Geo. J. J. Barber.
   Geo. J. J. Barber, Esq., died at his residence in Syracuse last Tuesday evening, aged 67 years. Mr. Barber was the second son of the late Jedediah Barber of Homer, and for several years was associated with his father in the mercantile business in that place. The old store was burned down in 1855 or 1856, and Jedediah Barber retired from the mercantile trade. His son, George, continued the business in the brick store opposite for some years. About fifteen years ago he retired and moved to Syracuse where his son, Jedediah, had been and still is living. He leaves a son and a daughter.
   Thirty years ago the Barbers were doing the largest business of any firm in the county and were widely known and highly respected. Jedediah Barber owned a very large amount of real estate in Homer, but after closing his store, he continued to deal extensively in produce, in which business he is said to have lost the larger part of his property. We believe Mrs. Jacob M. Schermerhorn of Homer is the only member of Jedediah Barber's family now living [here].

No comments:

Post a Comment