Thursday, November 3, 2011

Strategic Planning Committee Criticized

Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 5:09 PM
To: Brian Tobin
Cc: Susan Feiszli; mayor; Linda Ferguson; Dan Quail
Subject: "City dept. heads question intern questioning" - page 3 Cortland Standard

Dear Mr. Tobin -

I'm upset by the article in today's Cortland Standard. At the January meeting of the Strategic Planing Committee held in the Mayor's Conference Room - the first that you chaired - I raised concern that the department heads might not be comfortable with questions asked to them by interns. At the time you discounted my concern, but you did allow that you would "work with the Mayor". I took you on your word.


If you have spent any time working in government, you would know that minus some sort of approval from leadership, department heads are not going to speak freely with interns who may be unknown to them - especially in a politically charged City Hall. If you had worked with the Mayor as you indicated you would, she could have let department heads know that it was OK to speak with the interns and even let department heads know their names. The students who were trying to help us out would have had a much easier time, if you had put politics aside and done the right thing.


I asked to serve on the Strategic Planning Committee under Mr. Quail's
leadership because I felt his concerns were genuine and sincere. I too pay
taxes in our City and I'm deeply concerned. I even used my professional contacts to bring Deb Warner and Vito Shisciole to Cortland at no cost to the City. Ms. Warner and Mr. Shisciole have been involved with government consolidation for many years in Syracuse and Onondaga County and I thought they would bring a helpful perspective. Based on feedback I have heard, their comments were well received.

Under Mr. Quail's leadership, the Committee was insightful, interesting and, I believe, filled with good intentions. I actually thought we might be able to make a difference.


Under your "leadership", it was clear from the first meeting you chaired you
were there to steal ideas and use the Committee for personal/political gains for yourself. Given your announcement last week, I see that I was right about your aspirations. You have shown me that you will stop at nothing to further your personal/political agenda. You will use citizens, business leaders, whatever it takes. You will even jeopardize the integrity of a SUNY educational experience for two students for your gain. Shameful! In a few short months, you took something worthwhile and turned it into a disgrace. In the beginning, we had concerned residents and business people, their involvement has trailed off. I understand Hugh Keegan (who owns and runs a business in our City - and has for 20 years) has thrown in the towel. In general, people do not like to be used - I'm no exception. From the article in today's paper, I understand the word "deceitful" was used to describe your actions. I'd use the same word, but I'd add disgraceful and dishonest to the sentence.


I understand politics; I've been involved in successful political and issue
campaigns at the local state, and federal level since 1989 so I get it!
Citizen's count on our elected officials to separate the politics from the
governing. You have failed to do that. The primary is four months away and
there is important City business to be done. How about showing some governing?


In frustration,

Editor's Note: The concerned citizen who sent this email authorized publication but requested name deletion.

No comments:

Post a Comment