Thursday, October 10, 2013

Letter to Dr. Lawrence Lessig

AN OPEN LETTER

TO

DR. LAWRENCE LESSIG

 

Dr. Lessig,

I have been a supporter since what I believe was your first appearance on Bill Moyers show. I'm a Rootstriker, a financial supporter and contributor to your blog.

Last Thursday, I attended the forum at NECC in Haverhill where I learned, among other things, of the need to support more than one organization in pursuing the elimination of corruption from our political system. I came away better informed and more hopeful of success and convinced that, if you can pull this off as outlined that night, you will be the modern day equivalent of one of our founding fathers (pick your favorite).

There remains one issue unresolved for me and others. The objectives of special-interest money are mostly those of crony-capitalism but those of politicians are to be elected (reelected) and to participate in the accumulation of personal wealth. This may be an over simplification, but much of the money is spent to buy votes. I feel, therefore, that going to the poles and voting for a candidate of either party validates the corruption and so I use my ballot to express disgust with the system and to suggest the solution. I vote for various members of the Rootstriker family: Orville Rootstriker for president, Nancy Rootstriker for senate, and so on.

This may come as a shock, feel downright un-American, but perhaps, more Americans would vote if it were not such an exercise in futility. Why not give our members something to do beyond educating others regarding the problem and long-term solution?

 

All the best,

Joseph J Bakewell, Rootstriker

No comments:

Post a Comment