Saturday, July 16, 2016


Patrick S. Gilmore.

Cortland Standard and Weekly Journal, Tuesday, September 27, 1892.

Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore Passes Away Suddenly.
He Died in St. Louis During His Annual EngagementHis Remarkable Career. Some Traits of the Great MusicianPatriotic to the Core.
   St. Louis, Sept. 26.Patrick S. Gilmore, the great bandmaster, died at the Lindell House in this city. He was taken sick in the morning with an acute billius attack and grew steadily worse until the moment of his death. Dr. H. H. Mudd, with two other physicians, were summoned and everything was done to save the great impressario, but all efforts proved unavailing. Mrs. Gilmore and daughter Minnie were by his side when death came. His band has been one of the chief attractions at the St. Louis exposition for years and he was playing his annual engagement here at the time of his death.
Gilmore’s Career.
   Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore was born in the County Galway on Christmas Day, 1829. He developed remarkable musical talents at a very early age. At the age of 16 he came to the United States, being already a brilliant performer on the cornet. The young musician soon found employment in military bands and on the concert platforms.
   When the civil war broke out in 1861 Mr. Gilmore was leading a band in Boston and he compelled every member to join the Twenty-fourth Massachusetts Volunteers. This regiment went with the Burnside expedition to the Carolinas and took part in the capture of Roanoke Island. General Nathaniel P. Banks afterward placed Gilmore in charge of all the bands and music in the Department of the Gulf.
   In 1869 he inaugurated the great peace jubilee. It was this wonderful effort that gave him a national, if not worldwide reputation. The orchestra consisted of 1,000 musicians, with artillery, infantry, anvils, bells and other accompaniments to the national airs, and a chorus of 10,000 voices swelled the volume of majestic sounds.
   Three years later Gilmore attempted something of even greater magnitude, the memorable “World’s Musical Festival.” A coliseum capable of holding 100,000 people was erected. The instrumental forces consisted of nearly 2,000 musicians, augmented by several of the best bands from Europe.
   The jubilee, as it was called, lasted from June 17 to July 4. What was done for military music by these two patriotic enterprises only those who have seen the great improvement in American band music can understand.
Moves to New York.
   In 1873 be moved with his musicians from Boston to New York and joined the Twenty-second regiment. The band at once became popular, and during the first four years they gave 600 concerts in the garden called after their conductor. During the Centennial exhibition of 1876 Gilmore gave sixty concerts in the main building. In 1878 he took his musicians on a European tour, and they played American airs in England and nearly every country on the continent. At the Crystal palace in London 50,000 people heard the “Star Spangled Banner” interpreted in a spirit that made their blood tingle. The band appeared at the World’s exposition in Paris, playing in friendly rivalry with the Garde Republicaine.
   On Gilmore’s return from Europe Mr. Austin Corbin turned the now distinguished conductor’s name to account by engaging him to provide the summer season’s music at Manhattan beach. Every year Gilmore returned, to the delight of New York and its visitors.
   Wherever the strains of the great band’s music were heard, whether by the sounding waves of Manhattan beach, in the crowded halls of Boston’s Jubilee coliseum, on American platforms and stages galore, or even in England and Germany, there were heard the lively notes of  “Hail, Columbia,” “Yankee Doodle,” “The Red, White and Blue,” or “Rally ‘Round the Flag.”
   Down the streets of New York marched the funeral cortege of the man who had made famous the land which lies between Atlanta and the sea. The nation brought its tributes of respect and love to the great leader, but the national teardrop lingered in the national eyelash until the strains of “Marching Through Georgia,” played for the first time as a dirge, smote the ear. This was the memorial which P. S. Gilmore laid upon the casket of General Sherman.
He Liked Novelty.
   Latterly, Gilmore took to long tours through the country, playing in all the larger cities every season. In the south and west his coming was hailed as one of the events of the year. Like Thomas, he engaged singers and instrumental soloists, and succeeded in keeping novelty foremost as a characteristic of his entertainments.
   Indeed, novelty was one of Gilmore’s strongholds. He was continually striving after new effects. This was so well known that it was frequently said of him in jest that if a musician came to him with an unheard of kind of tin whistle Gilmore would employ him at a fabulous salary.
   Among the strange instruments which he made use of were the autoniophone, of which he had a quartet; the surasophone, the euphonium and others. He produced wonderful effects with French horns, of which he had a quintet,
   It may be said that his band was an aggregation of soloists, and Gilmore was never satisfied unless he had the very best performers to be obtained.
   Nor has any other leader had as great success with his performers. Probably no one in the world had closer business connections with so many rank and file musicians. Yet, as a rule, all loved the man, and whether under the shadow of his baton or on their respective ways to individual fetes they spoke of him with a uniformity which testified to his kindly uprightness.

The East Side Reading Room.
   The reading room located on the corner of Elm and Pomeroy-sts. has been opened now for some months and those who have the matter in charge wish the public to know more of the enterprise. The rooms were opened in May last and every week day night since, until a few days ago when they were temporarily closed. Three pleasant rooms are used for reading and quiet games. They have been plainly and serviceably furnished and for the most part have been well patronized, thirty to forty persons often being present.
   The expense of keeping the rooms open from May 10 to Aug. 12 was as follows:
   For rent, $37.50
    Janitor, $33.50
    Furniture, $11.50
    Light, $4.25
       Total, $86.75.
   The receipts for the same time were $91.88, of which $85 was from subscription and the rest the proceeds of entertainments given. The estimated expense of running the rooms for a year is $350, of which $144 are for rent and $156 for janitor. Of this sum the patrons of the room will doubtless pay at least $50, leaving $300 to be raised by subscription.
   Is it a good investment? It is. The residents of the east side agree that the rooms have done a great deal of good. They reach a class of people who could not be helped in any other way. Those who are accustomed to give their money for benevolent objects certainly cannot give for a more practical object or one whose benefits are more apparent. The project has a large number of friends; much has been given in work, for furniture, and in organization which does not appear in the above account. It would be a mistake to allow this reading room to be permanently closed.
   All those who have any interest in this matter are earnestly asked to meet without [sic] and further personal invitation at the rooms of Miss Hendrick and Miss Booth, 16 Church-st., at 7:30 o’clock next Monday evening.

   —Yager & Marshall of the Fair store have burned 5,000 Tulip soap wrappers upon the presentation of which they had given pictures of various kinds.
   —Mr. S. M. Benjamin’s men are today setting up in the cemetery at Truxton a very handsome rock-finished granite monument for the family of J. M. Schellinger.
   —The body of Harry Lewis was brought from Columbus, Ind., last evening and the funeral took place to-day at 3 o’clock, from the home of his brother, W. H. Lewis, Monroe Heights.
   —If your boy wants a bicycle, let him have it, for as he grows older it may keep him out of bad company. No one ever saw a young man coming home drunk on a bicycle.—Brookfield Courier.
   —John Morris, the livery man, was kicked by one of his horses yesterday afternoon in the left groin. He was taken to his home and Dr. H. T. Dana was called. There is no internal injury and only a bad bruise is the result.
   —The case of the People vs. M. P. Hayes for selling intoxicating liquors to a minor, which was heard before Justice Bull yesterday afternoon, was decided against him and he was fined $25. An appeal was taken to the Court of Sessions.
   —Mr. D. L. Mead purchased the stock, store fixtures, etc., belonging to Havens & Mead yesterday afternoon. He took possession this morning and will conduct the business in the future. The purchase price was $6,717.78 while the stock and fixtures were inventoried at $7,151.82.
   —The proprietors of the Cortland STANDARD have recently purchased a Cox Duplex press that prints from the roll and is said to be capable of turning out from 3,600 to 5,000 four, six or eight-page papers per hour. This looks as if the STANDARD was flourishing, and we hope it is. If its political notions were healthy, it would be a good paper.—Cortland Democrat.
   —Three sisters from St. Joseph’s order at Binghamton spent to-day with the Rev. Father J. J. McLoghlin at the parochial residence.
   —We are indebted to Comrade W. J. Mantanye for a copy of the Washington Post’s Grand Army number, containing illustrations and full accounts of the National Encampment.
   —H. G. Harrington of Cortland is advertised to be present at the Dryden fair next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with a fine quartette which will give two concerts daily at 11 A. M. and 2 P. M.
   —Mr. Burnett E. Miller intends building another business block similar to and adjoining the one now occupied by F. E. Brogden. He has received bids from several contractors, but has not awarded the contract as yet.
   —It is said that the run to Little York was made by a party of four wheelmen from Copeland’s corner into Raymond’s yard along the back road in 22 minutes yesterday.
   —Striker, the massive St. Bernard of the 45th company, sat for his picture recently. When he smiled and looked pleasant his mouth opened wide enough to swallow the whole camera.
   —The contracts for the block on the south end of the Samson lot, which is being put up by Mr. J. E. Briggs, have been let. Mr. N. P. Meager will do the woodwork and Mr. John Maher has the contract for the mason work. The building will be a three-story brick structure with an iron front and will measure 27 ft. front by 71 ft. deep. Work will be commenced immediately.

Bits of News From Homer.
   O. P. Christler, who formerly conducted the milk farm below the village, has moved in Lewis Porter's house on Williams-st.
   Geo. Brown has opened the Stebbins blacksmith shop on Wall-st. and will do first-class blacksmithing and shoeing at the lowest prices. We wish him success.
   Workmen are at work repairing the first house below Dr. Robinson’s for James O. Burrows, the umbrella physician, who has leased it and will take possession as soon as it is repaired.
   Dr. Edward Hitchcock returned home from the Pacific Coast yesterday.
   All customers who do not receive their paper or who receive it late will please report the fact to Atwater & Foster. All complaints will be promptly attended to.
   The Democratic caucus was held at Hotel Windsor last night. The committee were Messrs. G. A. Brockway, T. E. Sanders and F. D. Carpenter. The following gentlemen were chosen to represent the town of Homer as delegates to the county convention held in Cortland to-day: Messrs. George A. Brockway, John J. Murray, C. E. Wells, Herbert E. Lowell, LeGrand Fisher and Ralph Butler.
   Simmons & Grant’s clothing store was closed yesterday in honor of a Jewish holiday. The gentlemen in question spent the day in Syracuse.
   Plaff & Goodman’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin company accompanied by their own band and operatic orchestra will occupy the boards at the Opera House Tuesday evening, September 27. Popular prices will be charged.
   Mrs. D. V. Kingsley is suffering from an attack of typhoid fever; Dr. J. H. Robinson has charge of the case.
   Homer’s old favorite and former townsman, Arthur Sidman, will appear in the opera house next Thursday evening, Sept 29, with a carefully selected company of artists on his new drama “Squire Haskins.” He will be greeted with a full house.

No comments:

Post a Comment