Cortland Standard and Weekly Journal, Friday, September 30, 1892.
The Standard’s New Press.
Sep. 29.—The setting up of the new Cox Duplex Perfecting press in The Standard’s press room was finished yesterday and the press was run for several hours without forms, ink or paper to make sure that everything was right and that none of the parts would heat by friction. The machine moved off perfectly from the beginning to the end of the test. To-day a “dummy” form will be put on the press and the inking rollers put in their places, the ink fountains filled, and the web of white paper started through the press, to come out printed, cut and folded. The adjustments of the folder and press will then be perfected, and the machine be ready to begin its regular work of running off the daily and semi-weekly editions of the STANDARD.
The press is the first web perfecting press set up in this state in a village of the size of Cortland. In fact there are only two other presses of the kind in the state—one in the Commercial Bulletin office in New York City and one in the Auburn Advertiser office in Auburn. The purchase of the press by The STANDARD marks the greatest advance which has ever been made in the newspaper business in Cortland county.
As we have stated before, the press will print 5,200 four, six or eight page papers per hour, folded, pasted and cut. The Auburn Advertiser runs its press steadily at 4,300.
As soon as the press has fairly got down to business we shall open our press room to the public and invite every one who is interested in the progress of the printing art to call and see the machine in operation.
Two expert machinists from the Duplex Printing Co.’s works, Messrs. John E. Charlson and R. G. Sawyer, have been supervising the setting up and operating of the press, and will remain till our own pressmen are thorough masters of it.
A Hard Job for an Officer.
Deputy Sheriff Angell executed a warrant last Saturday evening that gave him considerable trouble. It will be remembered that last March, Charles Green, who lived on Groton-ave., left his wife and eloped with Mrs. Bert Carpenter on the day that she married [Bert] Carpenter. Carpenter swore out a warrant before Justice Dorr C. Smith and the warrant was placed in Officer Goldsmith’s hands. He went to Dresserville and tried to get Officer Morehouse to go with him and get Green. Morehouse, it is claimed, refused and Officer Goldsmith returned to Cortland. Morehouse was the first man to visit Green, when he was brought to Cortland. Several other attempts were made to capture Green at different times, but none proved successful till Saturday.
Deputy Sheriff Jerry Collins of Wayne county, the officer who captured train-robber Perry, telegraphed Sheriff Miller last Friday that he had got track of Green and awaited his orders. Mr. Miller telegraphed back to arrest the man and Collins again telegraphed for him to come and assist. Deputy Sheriff Angell accordingly left on the 4:30 o’clock train for Lyons, where he met Collins and getting a livery they drove a little ways north of Wolcott, where they had located Green. On arriving there they found that their man had left the day before. They returned to Lyons, and the next day, Saturday, Deputy Angell started alone for Baldwinsville, where Green’s parents reside, and on arriving there found Deputy Sheriff D. C. Tull.
Mr. Tull had served a warrant on one of the Green women that morning, and while at the house he saw young Green. Deputy Angell secreted himself in a hedge near a cornfield while Tull went up the road to the house. He pretended that he had further business on the warrant which he had served in the morning, and upon discovering young Green he attempted to arrest him. Green was too gamy for him and sprung out of the door and made for a piece of woods near by. He was headed off, however, by Angell. Green then attempted to get on a horse, but Tull kept him off. He then went up a lane and Deputy Angell fired two shots at him, neither one hitting him. Green then went to the barn and attempted to take a horse out of there and escape, but Angell was too quick for him and covered him with his revolver, telling him if he moved he would have to suffer the consequences. Green then quickly backed the horse around so that it was between him and Angell. The deputy saw that the man was desperate and dodging around the horse seized hold of him. In the scuffle Green nearly tore the clothes off of Angell. Tull then came running up and was followed by the old man Green and a woman with whom he lives, Mrs. George Goodwick. Tull struck young Green over the head with a pair of handcuffs, drawing a stream of blood. This quieted the young man somewhat and the handcuffs were put on him.
The old man Green and Mrs. Goodwick meanwhile jumped into the fight and attempted to keep the officers from securing their prisoner. They captured him, however, and he was placed in the town lockup and afterwards brought here on the 11:20 P. M. train Saturday.
The story of Green’s offenses make him out a sort of modern Don Juan. After leaving his wife here and running away with the Carpenter woman he soon became tired of her and took another charmer to his bosom with whom he had lived for awhile and had then abandoned in order to run away with yet another of the gentler sex, this time one of his own cousins.
Green was, until his flight from Cortland, an employe [sic] of the Hitchcock Wagon Co.
Since his departure the officers say he has been traveling around doing odd jobs, trading horses and attending races.
A Modified Othello and Desdemona.
Sept. 28.—The trials and tribulations attending the love affairs of Frank Jenkins were revealed to the public last evening, through the attempt of the police to arrest him for disturbing the peace. It happened in this wise. The object of Jenkins’ affections is a very estimable young lady who is now employed by Mrs. Burns Linderman. She has “kept company” with Jenkins for two years or so, but of late has rather avoided him on account of violent fits of jealousy which have seized him. A Sunday or two ago she claims that he attacked her in a fit of anger and gave her a severe beating. This has made her still more shy of him, and he, attributing her offishness to the presence of a rival, grew still more furious.
Last evening as the young lady was at work in the kitchen of the Hotel Burns, she saw a man peering in the window from around the corner of the building. After some moments watching she became convinced that it was Jenkins, and going into the house notified Mr. Linderman, who promptly summoned an officer. Chief Sager and Officer Parker answered the call. Jenkins did not linger however, when he saw the officers, but made a dash up Lincoln-ave. with the police force in pursuit. What was at first a race soon became a procession, as the fleet-footed Othello left the police far in the rear. As the chief’s wind left him he felt the necessity of looking after the rear guard, and so dropped dignifiedly behind to keep the crowd of small boys from following the chase too closely. Officer Parker continued the run out Homer-ave., but was hopelessly distanced by Jenkins, who for a novice developed remarkable spurting abilities.
The Desdemona in the case says that she will not swear out a warrant against Jenkins so long as he keeps his distance, but that she is tired of living in dread.
Funeral of Robert E. Hill.
The body of the late Robert E. Hill reached Cortland Wednesday afternoon by the 4:30 train, which came in half an hour late on account of waiting at Binghamton for the arrival of the train on the New York, Lake Erie and Western road bearing the body, and having the private car of General Freight Agent F. L. Pomeroy of that road, the brother of Mrs. Hill. The following relatives and friends came to Cortland by this car: Mrs. Robert E. Hill; Mr. and Mrs. F. L. Pomeroy and son; Rev. Dr. Albert J. Lyman of the South Congregational church of Brooklyn; M. H. Mills and daughter Ada L. of Binghamton; S. H. Mills and Mrs. S. C. Colton of Washington, D. C. Dr. T. C. Pomeroy and wife of Syracuse, and Messrs. Lewis and Harry Pomeroy of Phoenix were also present.
The relatives and friends were met by carriages and taken at once to the Rural cemetery, following the hearse bearing the remains. The following gentlemen acted as bearers: Messrs. W. S. Copeland, H. T. Dana, Geo. H. Warren, G. W. Bradford and H. R. Rouse of Cortland and W. H. Crane of Homer. While in Cortland Mr. Hill was a prominent Knight Templar, and the bearers were his brethren in the Masonic order. On arriving at the lot where the burial was to take place the casket was taken from the hearse and the glass removed, and the company of friends who had gathered about the grave were given an opportunity to take a last look at the well remembered face.
Rev. Dr. Lyman of Brooklyn conducted the services, which were brief but singularly beautiful, appropriate and sympathetic, and a quartette consisting of Mr. A. D. Blodgett, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Graham and Mrs. H. H. Greenman, sang some exceedingly sweet and touching selections. Amid the gathering twilight the company then dispersed.
The funeral party leave for their homes this evening by Mr. Pomeroy’s private car.
A Long and Honorable Business Career.
The recent sale by Mr. L. D. Garrison of his grocery business to Frederick Strube & Co. closes an active business career covering many years and creditable in every way. Mr. Garrison, at the time of the sale, had been longer engaged in trade in Cortland than any other business man in the town except Mr. G. W. Bradford. He moved to Cortland in April, 1856, and entered the old academy, where he remained till March, 1857, when he left for Syracuse. Returning to Cortland in 1859 he bought out the interest of A. S. Higgins in the firm of Garrison & Higgins, the senior member of which, Abner C. Garrison, was his father. The new firm was styled A. C. Garrison & Son and the business was carried on near where C. W. Collins’ store now is. A short time later Mr. Garrison went into partnership with the late D. C. Cloyes under the name of Cloyes & Garrison. In the spring of 1861 he bought out D. G. Cloyes and in 1862 went into the old store where the Garrison block now stands. Soon after Mr. C. W. Collins went in with him as a partner, and in January, 1867, he sold out to his partner, and in the fall went into the confectionery business. In the spring of 1868 he took in Allis W. Ogden as a partner, whom he bought out in 1872, and later in the same year moved into the Cloyes block and took in I. N. Perry as a partner. He bought out Perry in 1876.
In 1878 he moved into the new Garrison block and in the fall of 1881 sold his confectionery business to Cobb & Perkins, continuing in the grocery trade. In 1883 he took in Webster Young as a partner, the firm name being L. D. Garrison & Co.
Feb. 19, 1884, the Garrison block burned. It was rebuilt at once, and the following August the firm opened their store in the new building under the name of Garrison & Young. In 1889 Mr. Garrison bought out Mr. Young and since that time has carried on business in his own name until Sept. 6, when he sold to Messrs. Frederick Strube & Co.
For thirty-three years, therefore, he has been an active business man of Cortland, and it is not too much to say that during all that time he has stood high as a man of energy, character and integrity. He has seen the village quadruple in size and its business interests magnify more than a hundred fold, but he has seen no one come to the place or grow up in it who has taken a more honest pride in handling the best of everything, or in honorable, upright and courteous dealing, or in cultivating the qualities which go to make a good citizen. He has amply earned the rest which he is taking, and that his health and enjoyment may improve under it will be the general wish.
The pride which Mr. Garrison took in his business led him, in selling it, to select a purchaser who would maintain the high reputation which he had established for it, and this he feels confident he has done in Messrs. Strube & Co.
|Cortland Normal School.|
The students’ Christian league held its first meeting of the fall term last evening in Room 104. Prof. Bardwell led the meeting.
The old chapel clock now adorns the south side of the study hall and connections have been made with it and a system of electric bells throughout the entire building, so that as each recitation period arrives the clockwork rings the bells.
Preparations are rapidly progressing for the exercises of Columbian Day, Oct. 21. Judging from reports the school will have a first-class celebration.
The first meeting of the “A” class was held last Monday evening.
The oft-postponed commencement of the primary and intermediate departments has at last taken place, much to the gratification of all concerned. By Thursday the whole school will be once more in full operation.