The Cortland Democrat, Friday, January 10, 1890.
Who Was Responsible?
A few months since [ago] one of the large plate glass windows in the Cortland House block was broken. The blame for the broken glass rested between a lad by the name of Wetherel, and a son of William Winters, both minors. The facts as to the broken glass are as follows:—The Winters boy was standing in front of the light [pane] of glass smoking a cigarette. The Wetherel boy approached the Winters lad and asked for a cigarette, the first named replying that he didn't have any, at the same time thrusting his hands into his pockets, whereupon the Wetherel boy attempted to put his hand in the pocket of the Winters boy, when the last named tried to free himself from the aggressor and jerked his arm away, and in doing so his arm struck the light of glass breaking it.
The parents of both boys heard the stories of their sons, which showed that the Wetherel boy was the aggressor, and the Winters lad in attempting to free himself from his antagonist accidentally broke the glass. The matter was not adjusted and D. Bauder, who owns the Cortland House, to recover damages sustained by the broken glass, sued William Winters and Mr. Wetherel, parents of the boys, together.
The case came on for trial last Saturday before Justice Bouton and a jury. Mr. Winters' counsel asked for a non-suit in so far as the Winters boy was implicated, at the same time citing authorities from the higher courts. The non-suit was denied, and the case was tried, occupying nearly the whole day. At the conclusion of the trial the case was given to the jury, and they returned a verdict exonerating the Winters boy and giving a judgment of $45.00 against Wetherel.
HERE AND THERE.
The firm of I. Whiteson & Co. has been dissolved, Mr. Theodore Grant retiring.
Mr. John Mullen is about opening a barber shop under A. R. Peck's shoe store.
Four hundred callers were entertained at the Y. M. C. A. rooms on New Year's day.
The Hitchcock Wagon Co. will commence running on full time next Monday.
The Utica, N. Y. Conservatory of Music, nine professors, 248 students. Louis Lombard, director.
Counselor James Dougherty will deliver the opening address at the opening of the Eden Musee on Saturday evening.
Mr. A. G. Newton has sold his restaurant on Port Watson street to D. F. Dunsmoor, who took possession last Tuesday.
H. C. Beebe, Esq., formerly of the Cortland steam laundry, has associated himself with J. O. Reid, in the Cortland House meat market.
The Cortland Wagon Company will start up again nest Monday. They expect to have their new buildings ready for business by that time.
Mr. Jas. S. Squires is putting up a building on the corner of Owego and Park streets, which will be occupied by K. Howard as a meat market.
Messrs. Johnson & Lansing have purchased the meat market of Kernan Bros., on Clinton Ave., and will be pleased to see all their old friends, as well as many new ones.
Last Monday night some one entered L. Hale's meat market on Grant street, and carried off about forty pounds of beef. A few small articles were stolen from Halbert's grocery adjoining, the same night.
Last Monday Dr. D. W. Burdick, of Homer, administered a dose of medicine to Nathan L. Pierce, of this place, who has been doctoring for dyspepsia for some years past, and very soon afterwards he was delivered of a tape worm measuring 180 feet.
The surrogate's office in this village has been handsomely decorated and painted by Messrs. Sheely and Grossman, and handsome lambrequins have been hung over the front windows. Evidently Judge Eggleston proposes to have his quarters as comfortable and inviting as possible.
On the 1st of March, at 3 P. M., a competition will be held for a $100 tuition certificate at the Utica Conservatory of Music. Competitors must be below sixteen years of age, able to read music and play an instrument, or read music and sing. Those having competed on the 29th of August last will be admitted. Names of competitors must be received before the 15th of February. Address Louis Lombard, Utica, N. Y.
The Homer correspondent of the Syracuse Evening Herald, writes that paper as follows: "When Mr. and Mrs. William Pickens, who board at the Mansion House, retired on Saturday night, they left the drafts of the stove in such a way that the gas poured out into the room. Up to noon Sunday nothing was seen or heard of the young couple, and knocking and calling failed to get a response. The strong smell of coal gas indicated what the trouble might be and the door was forced, when they were found in bed unconscious. They were only revived after several hours of hard and unremitting work. It was a close call for both of them, but they are now considered out of danger."
Last week Thursday morning the infant child of Mr. D. S. Jones came near being drowned. An older brother was wheeling the baby in a carriage on the bank of the river just below the Rickard street bridge, and left the carriage standing for a moment, when a gust of wind tipped the carriage over, throwing the child into the river. The boy gave an alarm and Mrs. Jones jumped into the river where the water was over her head, but she was unable to reach the child. She finally managed to get out upon the bank and cried for help. Some men, who happened to be near, came to her assistance, and one of them secured the child. Dr. Gazlay was summoned and after a time brought the babe around all right.
Charles Ammerman and J. Knickerbocker have leased the Cortland steam laundry of H. C. Beebe for one year, and took possession last week.
A barn belonging to Volney Vincent, in Cuyler, was burned Monday night. It contained between 200 and 300 bushels of oats and about 20 tons of hay. There was an insurance of $400 on building and contents, which will nearly cover the loss.
Miss Ellen J. Pearne has resigned her position as principal of the Intermediate department of the Normal and Miss Nellie A. Gillette has resigned the position of critic in the same department. The Local Board have recommended to the Superintendent the appointment of Miss Anna M. Cordo in place of the former and Miss Maria Woodard Bishop in place of the latter.—Standard.
Mr. Geo. C. Hubbard, of the firm of Hubbard & Buck, hardware dealers, has sold his interest in the business to Mr. Henry D. Rose, and possession will be given as soon as the inventory of stock, which is now being taken, is completed. Mr. Hubbard, who is largely interested in the Cortland Manufacturing Company, finds it necessary to spend most of his time at the factory, consequently he could not give the attention to his hardware business that it required. Mr. Rose is a very competent young business man, who has many friends in this vicinity, and we confidently predict that the new firm will be as successful as the old one has been.
The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Cortland Howe Ventilating Stove Company for the election of trustees for the ensuing year, and of inspectors of election to serve at the next annual meeting, and for the consideration of such other business as may properly come before the meeting, will be held at the office of the company at its works in Cortland, N. Y., on the 20th day of January, 1890, at two o'clock in the afternoon.
F. W. COLLINS, Sec.
Dated Cortland, N. Y., Jan. 3, 1890.
CHENANGO.— An intoxicated female was arrested at the Opera House in Norwich last Wednesday evening.
Avery Williams, for 39 years postmaster at New Berlin Center, has sent in his resignation.
Whit Stratton has purchased of H. M. Ashcraft, of Syracuse the premises south of the American Hotel, in Norwich, occupied by Donely's marble works. Consideration, $3,800.
Hounds holed a fox on the farm of William E. Tracy near Oxford, last week, and Mr. Tracy dug him out and also three black skunks, from whose pelts he received quite a revenue. Last winter Mr. Tracy shot a fox from his doorsteps.
MADISON.— Plumb Loomis, the last member of the Loomis gang, is again under arrest, this time for forcible entry and detainer of real estate.
A. W. Green, of Chittenango Station, unearthed a well preserved human skeleton one day last week, while scraping away a mound. [Native American mound?—CC editor.]
The Earlville House came near being destroyed by fire on Tuesday evening. A large lamp suspended from a hook over the bar fell with a great crash, the hook having drawn out of the timber into which it was fastened. There were a number of people in the room, and they were naturally considerably alarmed at the un-looked-for occurrence. The lamp fell to the floor back of the bar and the oil quickly ignited and fired the woodwork, but the flames were extinguished before serious damage was done. The ceiling above took fire but a copious application of water had the desired effect. Had there not been assistance at hand, the building would no doubt have been burned.
TOMPKINS.—The Groton Brass Band will give their next concert, at Nye's Hall, Saturday evening, January 11th. Some very pleasing features will be introduced.
Frank Cole was elected chief of the Ithaca Fire Department, Wednesday, by a majority of thirty-two, out of a total vote of 374, over H. L. Haskin. The election was the most hotly contested of any in the history of the department.
One day last week each pupil of the Central School, at Ithaca, at the request of their teachers, carried to school either an apple or potato. The aggregate contribution, amounting to five bushels, was given as a Christmas offering to the Children's Home.
The last of the iron for the big bridge over the Potomac, at Washington, D. C., was sent out on Saturday last. This bridge is so nearly done that the company expect the report of its completion within thirty days. It is a wonderfully fine piece of iron work, a credit to the Groton Bridge and Manufacturing Co., and no disgrace to the capital of the nation. It is, together with its approaches, which are erected by the company, 2,589 feet long.