Tuesday, January 24, 2017


Matilda J. Gage, appellant in voting case.
Cortland Evening Standard, Wednesday, November 1, 1893.

The Women's Voting Question.
   We published in Saturday's issue the decision of Judge Williams, holding that women are not entitled to vote for school commissioners in this state, and that the act of the legislature giving them the right to do so is unconstitutional. In a similar case the supreme court of Michigan has recently decided that an act of the legislature giving women the right to vote at municipal elections is unconstitutional, though the Michigan constitution is not as clear on this point as is that of New York. The refusal of Judge Vann on Saturday to grant a stay of proceedings in the case in which Judge Williams rendered his decision, and his declaration that he thought Judge Williams correct, also strengthens the position that the law is unconstitutional.
   These decisions would seem to settle effectually the law upon the question, and will naturally be followed by all who desire to respect the law.  In fact it would be very unwise, in the face of these decisions, to advise any woman to offer to vote, as the statute upon the subject of illegal voting is very plain, and makes not only the person offering to cast an illegal vote but the inspector who receives it liable to an indictment.
   For the benefit of those interested in the subject we publish below the statute upon the subject and an extract from the opinion of Judge Bradley in a case where the general term of the supreme court sustained an indictment of a woman for illegal voting.
   The Penal code provides as follows: "Sec. 41K: Any person who knowingly votes or offers to vote at any election, when not qualified therefore, is guilty of a misdemeanor."
   Judge Bradley's opinion is so clear on this point that all interested should read it. He says:
   The defendant was "a person not duly qualified to vote under the laws of this state," within the meaning of the statute under which she was convicted. And she must be deemed to have known the law on the subject, and therefore having knowingly voted, subjected herself to liability to punishment pursuant to that statute. It would seem to follow that the only questions of fact for the jury were whether the defendant was a female and voted at the general election as charged in the indictment.

From the Attorney General.
   County Clerk S. K. Jones a few days ago wrote to the attorney general of this state to know if there would be any new ruling in the matter of women voting at the next election. The reply of the attorney general came yesterday and was that at present, at least, all must abide by Justice Williams' decision and he enclosed to the county clerk a copy of the decision. That apparently settles the matter beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Halloween Pranks.
   All the boys in town of a larger or smaller growth seem to have been out last night indulging in Halloween pranks, and doubtless they had much "fun." Many of the victims of the jokes must have themselves laughed this morning at the results which the night brought about. But there was also a class of work done which could hardly pass for fun, but which borders so closely upon vandalism that it would require pretty sharp discrimination to distinguish it from the latter. We fail to see the fun in a solitary individual stealing around in the dark with red paint and defacing and disfiguring newly painted dwellings and fences.
   One such person came near to getting shot last night and then it would not have been so funny. The owner of a fine piece of property discovered one person of the stature of a man doing some artistic work upon his fences and he fired his revolver at him, but failed to hit him. Several people came near getting severe falls by stepping out of their doors and not noticing in the dark that their steps had been removed, in the early evening too. There were many acts done in town last night for which the offenders would be severely dealt with if they could be caught. Fun is fun, but there is no fun in vandalism and rowdyism, and the perpetrators of this consider so too if they would only think about it for a minute.

Halloween Anabasis.
   One division of the Halloween army, numbering thirty, encamped last night south of the Tioughnioga river on Clinton-ave. A small company was sent to explore the surrounding country and obtain provisions. After a sufficient supply of corn and other refreshments were purchased at the market near by, the guest friends of two of the young ladies proceeded to the encampment.
   During the first watch of the night each member of the company was advised to consult the gods, and with reason for each was eager to know what would take place on the following day. One by one they marched to the upper region of the house, and there in a vision, each one separately saw the ghost of a departed ancestor. Brave hearts were made to fear. Thirteen of the party appeared to be Chinese from certain Halloween customs they represented. Being many times deceived by that which at first seemed reality, courage forsook all, until during the second watch the camp song was sung. After a pleasant evening they proceeded from thence to their respective homes and each went to rest. The commander reports good order among the ranks. 

He Desires it to Be Understood that They Were Not 3 1/2 Hours Coming from East Homer.
   After talking the matter over, Mr. and Mrs. Adin Grant, who were married at East Homer Monday night, concluded that the time they spent in going to and from East Homer was not quite as long as the bride told the reporter yesterday afternoon. They came to The STANDARD office last evening and Mr. Grant explained as follows, while his sixteen-year-old bride stood blushingly behind him.
   He stated that they left the bride's home about 7 o'clock, as stated in The STANDARD, but did not get started from the livery stable till about half an hour later. The bride yesterday appeared a little frustrated by being interviewed by a reporter and this was the excuse given for telling him that they were married at 9 o'clock. The groom stated that they did not reach East Homer till 9:30 o'clock and then were obliged to wait fifteen or twenty minutes for the minister to return from performing some important duties in connection with his livestock and they were not married till about 10 o'clock and started for home half an hour later. He claimed that they reached Cortland just as people were coming home from Faust [play performed at the Opera House], which was about 11:30 o'clock, and he wanted it so stated in the STANDARD.
   But they must have either spent the time till 12:30 o'clock in slowly meandering homeward after leaving the horse at the stable or else the clock at the house was nearly an hour fast, or else the bride's sister and the groom's brother must have looked at it wrong when the newly married pair walked in, or else the suddenness of the unexpected news must have impaired the memory of the sister and brother, for they certainly said that it was 12:30 o'clock when Mr. and Mrs. Grant returned.

Wedding Anniversary.
   Last evening a large company of the friends and neighbors of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Haskins, numbering about seventy-five, made them a surprise visit at their home upon the occasion of the twenty-sixth anniversary of their marriage.
   One of the most enjoyable features of the evening was the perfect amazement of Mr. and Mrs. Haskins, on their return from the afternoon tea to which they had been invited to Mr. Geo. B. Hyde's, when they found their house brilliantly lighted and a large company assembled. The evening was delightfully open in a social way and during the pleasant hours the attention of the company was invited, and in their name.
   Dr. H. A. Cordo voiced congratulations and presented to the bride and groom of a quarter of a century, a full set of dishes of decorated china, an elegant upholstered rocker, a handsome oil painting, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers as memorials of the twenty-sixth anniversary. Mr. Haskins for himself and wife made a fitting response and Rev. Geo. H. Brigham offered prayer. Refreshments were then served and the party separated at midnight for their homes. Mrs. J. L. Gillett, with her numerous assistants, caused everything to pass off successfully and won for herself a good name as a competent director of enjoyable surprise parties.
   The following is the list of those who joined in giving the presents and who were there last night: Mr. and N. P. Walsworth, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Gillett, Misses Sarah and Myra Haskins, Dr. and Mrs. F. D. Reese, Prof. and Mrs. E. C. Cleaves, Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Cobb, Rev. and Mrs. G. H. Brigham, Dr. and Mrs. H. A. Cordo, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Perkins, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. C. Hubbard, Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Squires, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Fish, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Keeler, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Thompson, Miss Mary A. Blackmer, Mrs. S. Ingalls, Mr. J. R Ingalls, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Bradford, Mr. and Mrs. D. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. F. Cole, Mrs. Wm. Pierson, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Harmon, Mr. and Mrs. G. Gillen, Mrs. Mary Persons, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Smith, Mrs. Head, Mrs. W. H. Myers, Mrs. Miller. Mr. and Mrs. White, Mr. and Mrs. N. Starr, Mr. and Mrs. A. N. Starr, Mr. Frank Braman, Mr. Geo. W. Sweetland, Mr. and Mrs. P. Gilbert, Misses Elia and Addie Walsworth, Mr. and Mrs. D. L. Beardsley, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Brown, Mr. and Mrs. R. Beard, Mr. Melvin Harmon, Miss Carrie Harmon, Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Darby, Miss L. M. Cordo, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Price, Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Beard, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Calvert, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. H. Hyde, Mr. and Mrs. H. Wells, Mr. and Mrs. M. D. Westcott, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sweetlove, Mr. and Mrs. E. Chaffee, Miss Minnie Chaffee, Mr. and Mrs. C. Ingalls, Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Stoker, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Tanner, Mr. Henry Kenney, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Wood.

Elmira Reformatory.

Zebulon Reed Brockway.

Prisoners Transferred From the Reformatory to Clinton Prison—Stories of
Frequent Paddlings For Slight Offenses. Scars Exhibited by Several as a Result of Castigations—Keepers Also Charged With Brutality.
   PLATTSBURG, N. Y., Nov. 1.—The committee appointed to investigate the charges of cruelty preferred against Superintendent Brockway of the Elmira reformatory met at Clinton prison, Dannemora, to examine convicts who had been transferred to that institution from the reformatory.
   Richard Quinn was the first witness. He was sentenced to the reformatory on March 9, 1892, and transferred to Clinton prison on July 18 of the same year. He said that he had been severely paddled by Brockway for having made a watch chain out of horsehair which he had found while in the bathroom. He said he was thrown on the floor by Officers Halpin and Sample and severely handled.
   While handcuffed he had been hoisted to a window until his feet were 12 inches from the floor. Brockway then tore off his trousers and paddled him across the back and over the kidneys. Turning his head in pain and with cries for mercy on his lips he was struck in the face with Brockway's paddle. Then he was choked by Halpin until he fainted twice. While on the floor, with manacles still on his wrists, he was brutally kicked by Brockway and was then taken to the solitary cell.
   Next morning he tried to remove his shirt, but was unable to do so. The garment was thick with blood and sticking to his person.
   The same day he was again paddled and his eyes were blackened. As a result of this treatment he showed scars on the upper lip, left temple and back of his head.
   Joseph C. Ryan, the next witness, was transferred to Clinton prison on July 19, 1892. He said he had been paddled four times by Brockway. Warden Thayer speaks in the highest terms of this prisoner since his arrival at Clinton.
   Leopold Roseman, sentenced to Elmira in 1887, at 16 years of age, was transferred to Clinton in 1892. He said he was paddled numerous times by Brockway. He showed a scar on his forehead that had been made by paddling. He was kicked in the face by Halpin and Sample, who jumped on him, breaking the fourth finger of his right hand. He had been two weeks in solitary confinement on bread and water because he could not perform the work assigned to him in the foundry.
   He asked to be transferred to some other department as the work was killing him. Brockway replied: "I will kill you and send you home to your mamma in a box."
   Houseman, the next witness, testified that he was paddled twice by Brockway, the first time receiving 15 blows. He fell to the floor, but Brockway continued paddling, striking him across the face and calling him a vile name.
   John H. Sherman testified that he saw two officers carry an inmate named Johnson from the bathhouse to a solitary cell. A coat was thrown over Johnson's head and blood was dripping from the insensible form at every step.
   George C. Zelic showed a scar over the left kidney made by the paddle. A boy named Miller was the next witness. He had been paddled by Brockway three times. On one occasion he had received 20 blows. He had been struck in the jaw by Principal Keeper Winnie and one of his teeth was knocked out. A part of the tooth was found in the jaw by the examining physicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment