Wednesday, April 19, 2017


Cortland Evening Standard, Tuesday, February 13, 1894.

Fifteen Persons Injured by Flying Fragments—The Perpetrator Captured After a Desperate Fight In Which He Shoots an Officer and a Woman—Proclaims Himself an Anarchist—Wanted to Avenge Vaillant.
   PARIS, Feb. 13.—A young man, from motives of revenge, exploded a bomb in a cafe beneath the Terminus hotel, which is situated opposite the St. Lazare railroad station.
   The cafe was full of people at the time, a band was playing and those present were enjoying the contentment which follows the consumption of a good dinner. All this was changed in a second.
   A young man, who dined in the cafe, was seen to raise his arm and throw something into the middle of the room. A terrific explosion followed and the occupants of the room were paralyzed with terror.
   No one dared to move for some moments, fearing a repetition of the explosion, but as none came their courage returned. Then they investigated into the damage done and they found that the explosion had done dreadful work. The air was filled with smoke and lying on the floor were numbers of persons, wounded, moaning, and bleeding.
   The bomb had landed upon a table, around which a party had been sitting, and this article of furniture had been reduced to splinters. The persons grouped at this table suffered the most. The injured numbered 15. Nearly all of them were wounded in the legs. Some of them were grievously hurt and were removed to a chemist's shop nearby where they were cared for.
   In the meantime, the man responsible for this cowardly act had not been allowed to escape. His name was given as Louis Breton and he had recently been discharged from the cafe. He had determined to secure revenge.
   Before the explosion he had been sitting on the outside of the cafe and had partaken of refreshments. No particular notice was taken of him, as his actions were not such as to attract attention. As he was leaving the place he threw the bomb, aiming at the electric light chandelier.
   The explosion shivered the plate glass front of the place, destroyed one marble top table and overturned others, and smashed glassware and plates, their fragments flying in all directions.
   Breton on leaving the cafe rushed toward the Rue de Rome. A blue omnibus which plies between the railroad station and the Place St. Michel was passing the cafĂ© as Breton ran out. A policeman was sitting on top of the omnibus and saw Breton. He jumped to the ground and followed him and ran him to earth a few yards up the Rue de Rome at a spot opposite the Scossa restaurant.
   Breton turned to the policeman, revolver in hand, and fired a shot at him. The policeman grabbed him and both fell. While on the ground Breton fired another shot at the policeman and struck a woman who was passing. The woman fell to the ground, mortally wounded.
   In the meantime a crowd had collected, attracted by the shots.
   The policeman who had grabbed Breton had been badly wounded by Breton's first shot and was unable to hold on to his prisoner, and the latter, still brandishing his revolver, regained his feet and was likely to do further mischief.
   The people, a large part of whom had followed Breton from the cafe, were in a furious mood and seemed inclined to lay hands upon him. They believed at the time that the explosion was the work of a militant anarchist, and they clamored for his lynching.
   The sight of the revolver restrained them at first, but finally, headed by another policeman, they rushed forward to secure him.
   Breton again attempted to use his revolver, but the policeman cut him over the face with his sabre, staggering him. He was then arrested.
   The mob again demanded that he be lynched, and they would probably have carried out their intentions had not a strong force of police arrived. The prisoner was then escorted to the office of Commissary Aragon on the Rue de Moscou.
   Five persons who were passing in the street at the time of the explosion were injured by flying fragments of glass.
   The inquiry before the commissary showed that the bomb was constructed in the form of a sardine box and contained a chlorate powder and pieces of lead of the size of cherries.
   Breton admitted to the police that he was an anarchist.
   Breton told the doctor, who dressed the wound which he had received from the policeman's sabre, that his main object was to avenge Vaillant. His hatred of the proprietor of the cafe was but a minor consideration.
   He said there were others who would follow his example. His object and the object of his associates was to destroy the Bourgeois society.
   Breton speaks English and French fluently. He declines to reveal his identity, but is probably a native of the island of Jersey, where the name Breton is common.

Across Lake Champlain on Ice.
   PLATTSBURG, N. Y., Feb. 13.—A small-sized blizzard prevails here this morning. The New York and Montreal train was five hours behind time. A daily stage line across Lake Champlain, between here and Burlington, Vt., commenced running this morning.

A Contrast of Prosperity.
   During the controversy over the Wilson bill there has been a good deal of declamation in the Democratic press and on the Democratic side of congress about the wonderful prosperity which prevailed under the tariff for revenue only of the period from 1846 to 1860. That period is pictured as the golden age of American industry, and it is insisted that the Wilson bill—a revived Walker tariff—will restore it in all its magnificence.
   It is easy to make a glowing general statement of this kind, because a whole generation has arisen since the free trade policy of the Southern slaveholders was overthrown. But it is not so easy to meet the solid facts and figures produced by a veteran New England manufacturer, Mr. John T. Busiel of New Hampshire, who, in a letter to Congressman Blair, offers a striking contribution to the current tariff discussion. Mr. Busiel has in his possession pay rolls of representative New Hampshire factories running away back to 1846. From these pay rolls he has constructed a table giving, as follows, the average pay per day of the operatives, and the average per hour, from 1818 to 1892.
   1848, Walker tariff, 50.7 cents per day of 14 hours, 3.62 cents per hour.
   1863, Walker tariff, 57.4 cents per day of 14 hours, 4.1 cents per hour.
   1861, Morrill tariff, about 50 cents per day of 11 hours, 4 6-11 cents per hour.
   1864, Morrill tariff, about 60 cents per day of 11 hours, 5 5-11 cents per hour.
   1869, Morrill tariff, $l.16 per day of 11 hours, 10 1/2 cents per hour.
   1892, McKinley tariff, $1.57 per day of 10 hours, 15.7 cents per hour.
   For 1893 the wage rate showed a slight increase over 1892, until the panic stopped business.
   Mr. Busiel, says the Boston Journal, is no special pleader; he is a practical business man. Until a few years ago he was one of the foremost Democratic leaders in New Hampshire. He left the Democracy when the Bourbon free trade faction secured control of it. Then, with a great many of the most intelligent and substantial New England Democrats, he was forced to leave it and join the party of protection, whose cause he now strengthens by an argument which is absolutely overwhelming.
   If there are any free traders in this vicinity who would like to tackle Mr. Busiel's figures and reconcile them with their loud assertions of the marvelous prosperity which prevailed under the slaveholders' tariff of 1846 they cannot too quickly seize the opportunity. Thus far Mr. Busiel's challenge has remained unanswered.
   The United States supreme court has crawled out from under the load of cases that buried it and can see its way clear to cleaning up the docket by the end of 1896 if it goes on with business at present rates. This is the first time during a long period that the eminent justices could see their way to catch up even in two years. Perhaps the reason is that the hard times keep people from going to law so much. They have no money to pay lawyers.
   It is a satisfaction to know that if the Kearsarge had to be wrecked the historic old ship was lost in performance of naval duty and not on a congressmen's junketing expedition, as might have been the case. She was lost, too, while on her way to Nicaragua to look after American interests in the big ship canal while the little states of Honduras and Nicaragua are monkeying with each other in the accustomed Central American quarrel. It would have been 30 years next June 19 since the Kearsarge sunk the Confederate Alabama off Cherbourg, France. To this day in the museum in the navy yard at Washington is to be seen the former sternpost of the Kearsarge, with a cannon ball lodged in it, where one of the Alabama's shots penetrated it in the great fight. If the Kearsarge cannot be raised again, that relic at least of her glory will remain. It is to be hoped, however, that it will be possible to raise the ancient wooden ship and float her long enough to bring her home from Roncador reef to the United States, Henceforth she might repose in honorable retirement.

A Beautiful Friendship.
   For more than a quarter of a century George W. Childs and Anthony J. Drexel walked from their homes to their offices and from their offices back to their homes daily together. They dined together. Their cottages at Long Branch were side by side.  There was not a plan for helping those less fortunate than themselves that they did not share. It was Childs and Drexel that established the home for aged and destitute printers at Colorado Springs.
   Mr. Drexel founded the Drexel institute, the manual training school of Philadelphia, but George W. Childs was its first vice-president, and president of its board of managers, and helped it in all ways with money and his warm, healthy enthusiasm. Drexel's son, George W. Childs Drexel, was associate publisher of The Public Ledger after the death of his father.
   The two men loved each other with a love like that of David and Jonathan. There is not in the history of the country the record of such another friendship between two men. Life never was as bright again for Mr. Childs after Drexel died last summer. It was while arranging and attending a memorial service to his friend that The Ledger's publisher incurred the fatigue which probably caused his death. Perhaps, after all, that death may only have reunited the two men who loved each other.

The Chinaman's New Year's Day.
   It comes more than a month later than ours. As the 5th of February approached the Chinese laundries and shops began to buzz with gentle excitement. Had it been American it would have been a great fuss, but all Chinese excitement is gentle. New mottoes, printed on dazzling red paper, had to be pasted up on the walls. If you asked the laundryman what meant the cabalistic characters inscribed on the vivid red, he would smile from ear to ear as he replied, "Happy New Year, allee samee."
   Various mottoes expressing a wish that the dweller in that shop may have all the good things of life for the year just opening are tacked up. Red seems to be the Chinaman's color for good luck. There is something pathetic in one of the mottoes most frequently seen. It is, "May the good time soon come for us to go eastward." Another motto is a wish which the Yankee feels in his heart often, though he does not print it upon red paper and stick it upon the wall, and it is, "May the rich and noble grace us with their presence."
   The Chinese New Year's celebration lasts 8 days. On the first day the faithful one must eat no meat. On the second day he eats chickens and ducks till he can't rest and feasts in like manner till the close of the week. The man who can explode the most firecrackers and continue at it the longest will keep off the greatest number of devils and have the best luck. That is the object of the diabolical noises that accompany Chinese celebrations.

The Collector for the Steel Range Co. Skips.
   Deputy Sheriff James Edwards has been skirmishing around the country for the past few days searching for a man  who is claimed to have skipped with about $230 in hard cash. His efforts so far have been unsuccessful as the case was not reported till after the man had a good opportunity to escape.
   Frank Walker is a young Englishman, who speaks brokenly, is about five feet nine inches height, weighs about 155 pounds, light hair, eyes and mustache. He wore a brown mackintosh, plush cap, high rubber boots, turned down from the top, and was rather carelessly dressed throughout. He was employed by the firm, which has been selling throughout the country steel ranges, as hostler, salesman, collector and in fact a little of everything.
   On Friday he was sent to Solon to make some collections. He drove a mule attached to a cutter and was expected to report by Saturday morning. He failed to do so and, as he did not materialize, with the cash collected by Saturday night, the firm became uneasy and began investigating. It was found that he had collected as near as can be estimated about $230. He had left the mule and cutter at Solon and had hired a boy to drive him to Cortland Friday. Mrs. Fannie Hubbard, who resides on West Court-st., reported to the officer that Walker was at her place Friday night, after which he started for the hotel between Cortland and McGrawville. He was in town all day Saturday, but was seen Saturday evening to take the 11:20 train for parts unknown.
   Deputy Sheriff Edwards was not notified of the case till Sunday night, but he immediately went to work and unearthed nearly all of the above facts. He also learned that Walker had relatives at Toronto, Can., and that he had also stated at different times that he intended to return to England. The police at Buffalo, Toronto and New York were telegraphed a description, and a report came from the latter city that they had caught the man. A more minute description proved that it was a case of mistaken identity, but a watch is being kept on the steamers leaving for England.
   Walker came to this branch of the firm highly recommended from the Toronto branch. It is thought that he did not intend to steal the money, but probably got on a spree, spent part of the money or had it stolen from him and was afraid to return.

Freer's Hotel in Higginsville.
Fine Sleighride—Elaborate Dinner—Enjoyable Dancing.
   Those who took in the sleighride and dance at Higginsville last evening report it one of the most enjoyable that they have ever had. At about 7:30 o'clock twenty-eight couples, well bundled up, loaded into sleighs in front of Beard & Peck's furniture store and after a fine drive down the valley arrived an hour later at Freer's hotel at Higginsville. Only one mishap is reported and this occurred to a well known young man, who was tipped into the snow at two different times going down.
   Dancing began as soon as all had arrived. Daniels' orchestra never played more exhilarating music and the spring floor never appeared as inviting as on this occasion. All kinds of old-fashioned as well as new dances were thoroughly enjoyed.
   At midnight Mine Host Freer invited the guests to the dining hall, where a dinner was served that would have been enjoyed by a king. After the keen appetites had been satisfied the dancing was resumed and an hour later the guests again bundled up, loaded themselves into the sleighs and amid the cracking of jokes and the merry jingle of the sleighbells the tired but happy party returned to Cortland.

   —To-morrow is Valentine day.
   —The Cortland Wagon Co. report an increase in orders lately, and a brighter outlook.
   —The union revival services will be continued to-night in the Presbyterian church at 7:30. Dr. L. H. Pearce will preach. A cordial invitation is extended to all.
   —Donations of clothing are very much needed for distribution by the King's Daughters. Boys' clothing, over-coats especially, if quite well worn, will be acceptable. Articles may be left at 16 Charles-st.
   —Mr. I. Whiteson has turned over to the King's Daughters five per cent of his sales for last Saturday, as he previously advertised that he would do. This amounted to $5.17 which was duly receipted for by Mrs. A. M. Johnson, treasurer of the King's Daughters.
   —A meeting of the town board was held at the office of Town Clerk E. E. Mellon to-day. The morning was spent in looking over the supervisor's report, which was accepted. The afternoon session was spent in auditing the railroad commissioners' account.
   —At a meeting of the citizens of Cortland held in the Miller building last evening Mr. Horace G. Reynolds was nominated by acclamation for excise commissioner. Mr. Reynolds has held this office since the resignation of Richard F. Randall, when he was appointed by the town board.
   —The second entrance examination for the Cortland Normal school will be held to-morrow (Wednesday) which such candidates as fell below an average of seventy per cent, or fell below sixty per cent in not more than one subject, and such candidates as were not present at the first examination, and satisfy the principal that there were sufficient reason therefore, will be permitted to try.
   —Several people have already sent in orders by mail for the Shepp's Holy Land and have asked us to forward the pictures to them. As the advertisement reads, these are delivered only at the Standard office. We cannot mail them to our subscribers, as the bill for postage would be very large for the great number of people who are calling for them. Any person who presents these coupons and ten cents at the Standard office will there receive a single number of the Shepp series, either the World's Fair, the Sights and Scenes of the World, or the Holy Land.

Tea Table Talk.
   Attaching an electric motor to the bicycle so as to save human muscle is the latest novelty proposed. It would do away with the objection of the Irishman to this mode of locomotion, that he had "as leif walk a fut as to ride afut." But to would-be purchasers of bicycles the improvement most needed is a great reduction in price. Considering the material in them, bicycles cost more than almost any other vehicle. There is competition in carriage making that has brought down the price. It is time that competition among bicycle manufacturers did as much for the wheel.—The Engineer's List.

No comments:

Post a Comment